Monday, April 22, 2013

Kitchen Creations

It was a very nice Monday.  We all had a great day.  Becca and I had a draw to the kitchen this evening.  She has been wanting to make butter using whipping cream.  The other day we found a little pint of whipping cream and actually remembered to pick it up.  She made this when she was in elementary school and has been wanting to do it again.  She poured the cream into a plastic container and shook it for several minutes.  She peeked in the container several times hoping it would be finished each time.  It was finally finished! She poured off the buttermilk and enjoyed her butter with some townhouse crackers.  Delicious!
My draw to the kitchen was cooking, baking and cleaning.  I made our dinner tonight - shepherds pie - it was very good.  I actually made the velveeta skillets box version.  It was good for a box meal, but we all agreed that we would be much better from scratch.  I couldn't resist the bargain - they were just 50 cents a box with the sale price and coupons.  I am really trying to get back on the sale ad watching, coupon cutting, price matching savings bandwagon.  It is just a little part that is helping us get to our goal!
We all had a sweet tooth, therefore I tried my hand at whoopie pies.  How simple!  They were easy, quick and very good.  I had a triple chocolate cake mix to use, and then made the icing from scratch.

The recipe that I used was...
 Whoopie Pies from a cake mix

1 chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
........
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil.  Whip together for 2-3 minutes.

On a parchment paper or Silpat lined baking sheet, scoop out batter into round mounds.  I used a small ice cream scoop that measured 1 2/3 inches in diameter.  Use the back of a spoon to round out scoops of batter into perfect circles.

Bake for 8 minutes.  Cool.

To fill, pipe icing onto the bottom cookie (wrong side up), then top with another cookie (right side up).


Note:  the first round that I baked were a little too large making them a little more "flimsy" - I recommend using a rounded tablespoon of batter and scrape it off with another tablespoon to make rounded drops on the the baking sheet.  They will expand, therefore do not place them too close together.

Chuck also received excellent news today too! - He will be saving about $75 a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment