I overheard a conversation this afternoon, told in a somewhat joking matter, but it is really a little bit sad. They were talking about their grown son who still lives at home without a job. This young man wanted a little spending money, but his father told him that he would like him to wash the truck before he would give it the money to him. He went out to do as he was asked. He came back in a little while and said he had washed the truck, therefore requested the twenty dollars. His father gave him the money and thanked him for doing this small job. The next day the parents were out in the driveway and realized what their son had done. He washed only one side of the vehicle. He washed the side they would see as they looked out the window. They were a little bit shocked and disappointed.
I thought about the story after they walked away. My first thought was in regard to the work. The Lord wants us to be hard workers, good workers, doing a good job in what we do.
23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. 25 For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality.
10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might,
I thought more about this story. This young man actions were deceitful, dishonest, lazy and lacked integrity. I'm sure we have all done something similar as a child or maybe as an adult.
Lord, Help us make you glad by living our lives with integrity.
What does the Bible have to say about integrity
- treating people fairly and honestly. (Leviticus 19:35-36, Deut 25:15, Proverbs 16:11-13)
- giving your word and keeping it. (Exodus 8:28-32)
- will protect you (Psalm 25:21, Proverbs 2:7-8, 10:9, 11:3, 13:6)
- more valuable than riches. (Proverbs 28:6)
- The Lord will test and judge your integrity. (1 Chronicles 29:17, Psalm 7:8)
- The Lord hates lies and lack of integrity. (Zechariah 8:16-17)
- may be difficult to maintain your integrity. (Job 2:3, 2:9, Proverbs 29:10)
- character can be corrupted by bad company. (1 Corinthians 15:33)
- will be rewarded. (1 Kings 9:4-5, Nehemiah 7:2, Psalm 41:11-12)
- should set an example. (Titus 2:7)