Monday, November 12, 2012

Mean what you say!

  There are days that I know exactly what to write and other days I have no clue.  This evening, I was reflecting back over my day and it was pretty uneventful (which is perfectly fine), hmm, what can I write about tonight.!?  My favorite posts are about the family, especially sweet, fun and special memories that we will treasure in later years. The other posts that I love are when the Lord lays a Biblical application to a practical moment in life.  It often seems to be an area I can improve upon and this little story is no different! :0/   It looks like I have my life application from James 5:12 this Wednesday night as we share about our recent study.

    I mentioned to you a few days ago that Becca and I went to a Mary Kay facial party.  Well, this sales lady was very good.  I really liked her, she was very energetic and personable.  She had a bold personality and seemed to be the type that controls her audience.  She fit right in with our group, but when it came to her business, she was subtly forceful.  Sales are definitely her niche.    For instance, she set up this party by saying, "I want to give you a make-over for all of your help, and feel free to invite some friends, it will be a fun girls day out."  Well, of course that sounds fun doesn't it?  It sounds much less appealing to ask - would you like to have a M.K. party?  (I'm sure Annie knew exactly what to expect from the makeover, but the presentation was alluring).  After we finished the facials, she met with each of us alone to go over our orders and  to schedule our "follow up visits."  The follow up visit was basically booking a party with each of us.  It was just a slick method and almost a demanded party without demanding it, if you understand what I mean.  
    Have you ever been in one of those situations where you end up committing to something either you didn't realize you were committing to, or didn't really want to commit to?  I know there has been more than one time in my life, when my head was spinning after I realized what just happened.  As we talked, I offered a tentative date for my "follow up visit", I mean party.  It's not that I never want to have one, they are fun and who doesn't love these products.  I almost felt tricked into scheduling that possible date.  She definitely commanded this time at the party, wording the followup visit in such a way that you were almost felt required to comply.  Satan works this way.  He will dangle enticing things in front of us, make it sound fun and rewarding, and wham - next thing you know your head is just spinning.  We are wondering why we did what we did or committed to something that we do not want to do.  To be perfectly honest, I really wanted to tell her no, but didn't want to hurt her feelings, and didn't want to explain my no.  I gave her a wishy washy yes, pretty much knowing - at least for now - it was a NO.
     The sad thing is, we had an entire day of study devoted to this verse...   
James 512 And above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath. But let your “Yes” be yes and your “No” be no, so that you may not fall into judgment.
    We need to be people that say what we mean, and mean what we say!  The Lord takes vows and oaths very seriously.  I did not vow, swear or make an oath, I left it tentative but should have been brave enough to just say no.  I know I need to pray that the Lord will always be my words, especially when it comes to commitments.  Our word should mean something and people should know what you say you will do.
    I emailed her today and told her that I was not ready to get together yet - it will need to wait until after the holidays.  I will meet up with her for a "follow up", because I want my yes to be yes. ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment