Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Prickly People


So who doesn't know someone prickly?  Someone that can just get under your skin and irritate you to no end.  I have run across my share of people like this and I'm sure you have too.  I'm so glad God has a great sense of humor and a way of putting me in my place from time to time.  My original thought for this blog was to mention "those" people, to discuss you know "that type" of personality.  Ha!  You'll never guess who was one of "those people" last night!  Yep - ME!  I'm sure my family will atest to the fact that I was not only prickly - but a great big brat!  I came home and all was well, until dinner time decisions had to be made.  I misinterpreted something Charles said and got irritated for nothing.  I really don't know now why I felt so angry and for a few minutes - I didn't want to let that anger go.  I wanted to be angry.  I was growing bitter and angrier from something that was a total misunderstanding.  Bitterness can grow and grow not only harming ourselves but also those around us.  If I would have continued with my attitude it would have gotten more and more difficult for me to ask for forgiveness but also for those around to actually forgive me for acting the way I did.  I don't want to lose God's loving favor or be the cause of others losing favor because of bitterness.  God's grace has such great power and effect in our lives.  Some people choose to remain a prickly porcupines letting bitterness overtake their lives.  Unfortunately, they don't recognize the change in themselves and eventually do not care, becoming more ineffective, insensitive and spirtually dying.  They often become slaves to the bitterness and sometimes even physically ill.  God doesnt' live in bitterness, He lives in grace.  He wants us to choose grace not bitterness.  Praying I never stay a porcupine and that you don't either.  If you are bitter or unforgiving about something - let it go, forgive and move on - there is great freedom and reward in forgiveness!

 My personal Bible preference is KJV, but I often like to read different versions to help me understand the verse a little clearer

Hebrews 12:15

 (KJV) - 15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled

(ESV) 15See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

(MSG) 14-17Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you'll never get so much as a glimpse of God. Make sure no one gets left out of God's generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time. Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God's lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite. You well know how Esau later regretted that impulsive act and wanted God's blessing—but by then it was too late, tears or no tears.

 (NLV)15 See that no one misses God’s loving-favor. Do not let wrong thoughts about others get started among you. If you do, many people will be turned to a life of sin.

 (NLT)15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.
(ERV)15 Be careful that no one fails to get God’s grace. Be careful that no one loses their faith and becomes like a bitter weed growing among you. Someone like that can ruin your whole group.

If you are wondering how Little Mrs. Prickly was made...
 I love nature and the little things we find on our walks.  It wasn't too long ago we found these great acorns and prickly little balls that drop from a Sweet Gum tree. 


As promised from yesterday's post-
Here is the answer to how many arils were in our pomegranate...


764

No comments:

Post a Comment