Friday, January 13, 2012

Always carry your flashlight!

Psalm 139

 1 You have searched me, LORD,
   and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
   you, LORD, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
   and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
   too lofty for me to attain.
 7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
   Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
   if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
   your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
   and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
   the night will shine like the day,
   for darkness is as light to you.
 13 For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book
   before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
   How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
   they would outnumber the grains of sand—
   when I awake, I am still with you.
 19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
   Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
   your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, LORD,
   and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
   I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
   test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
   and lead me in the way everlasting.



I Cannot Hide From You (Psalm 139)

by - Greg Long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRfsaoeij0


This is one of my absolute favorite pictures of Chuck and Becca.  They loved making their lithe hide-outs! Who didn't as a kid?!?  Every blanket and pillow gets pulled out of the closet draped and positioned to form the perfect fort!  Sometimes the simplest things create the most fun and more time is spent on them than any store bought toy.  They would drag their supplies in there with them.  Chuck usually needed flashlights, a compass, maps, tools, cars - everything that an adventurous boy needs.  Becca's supplies were a little bit different.  It usually included one of her stuffed animal babies, coloring books and crayons and definitely a flashlight.    The lights were a must because it does get a little bit dark in there when every little opening had to be covered.  They would peek out like this photo shows and giggle when we walked by and didn't see them.  They would find that so funny - we would hear them whisper and giggle.    They would think they were hidden where no one could see.  

I started to write this blog in a different direction and had a different song in mind until I came across the above song on youtube.com .  I was reading it and breath-taken at how well God knows us.  He knows us much better than we know ourselves.  He knit us together.  Have you ever knitted anything?  My grandma taught me how to knit when I was young.  To knit anything takes focus, care and time.  My eyes had to stay on it as I worked the little projects she would give me.  A long ball of yarn that would carefully be crafted into the shape of a potholder or some other little project for beginners.  Seasoned knitters make cute little booties, sweaters or blankets.  I remember an article in the paper of a girl that knitted/crocheted her wedding dress - it was beautiful.  
None of this even compares to the beauty and care that God takes in knitting us together.  
He knows us so well.  
He knows who we are.
He knows where we are.
He knows what we have done.
He knows what we will do.
He knows what we have said.
He knows what we will say.

Wow!

He thinks about us.  It says his thoughts of us are more than the grains of sand.  His thought of us are precious - even though he knows us.  Incredible!  What a privilege.

We all have built our little forts or hide-outs.  We had some really cool places that we hid out at our yellow bridge.  The water didn't usually go across the width of it.  There was often dry land under it where we could go sit and spend time talking, playing or just being together.  As adults, we more than likely don't build our forts out of pillows and blankets anymore.  Our hide-outs are more often a negative thing.  Maybe even sinful.  It may be a habit we shouldn't have, a place we shouldn't go, something we shouldn't watch, a singer that sings with lyrics we shouldn't listen to,  a person we know we shouldn't be around, words we shouldn't say, actions we shouldn't take, and  so on.  We do it knowing we shouldn't.  Deep down - we are thinking - I would die if someone knew.  The thing is - God knows.  
He knows everything about us - but He loves us anyway.  No matter what we have done- He still loves us!   It doesn't matter where we are or what we have done - God doesn't leave us.  When we are feeling alone, like the sin we have just sinned is too bad to face  -  remember....God never left us.  We never were alone.  Sometimes that sin makes our world so dark and full of despair that we don't think there is a way to fix what has happened.  At times it seems like hiding in that darkness is the answer.  If I stay away, everyone will be better off.  I want to wallow in my misery and despair - I deserve it.  That is just the attitude that Satan wants us to have.  He wants us miserable and most importantly to him - he wants us to feel like God is a million miles away wanting nothing to do with us.  Don't believe it for one second!  No matter how dark it is - how bad that sin was - God is right there with us.  If we were to turn the light on in the dark - we would realize He is right there with us and always has been.  We are the ones that can't see in the dark.  Don't forget when we start to head to our hideout to turn the "flashlight" -(Jesus) on.   Make sure to turn it up to the brightest setting - if He is shining in our hide-out - it will prevent what might happen in the dark.  
Remember God will see us through anything and everything.  
Of course, we have consequences for our actions that never effect ourselves alone - it effects those around us too.  Face what has happened and let Him help you correct and prevent it from happening again.  Healing happens over time - Don't give up!
KEEP PRAYING
REMEMBER GOD IS RIGHT HERE
HE KNOWS ALL
and
TURN YOUR LIGHT ON HIGH - It will help brighten your day! 


(I was going to post Martina McBrides - Anyway song originally but didn't feel it was as fitting - here is the link - because I know you are singing it in your head right now....
Martina McBride - Anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment