Saturday, January 7, 2012

The King's Footprints

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,
so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you.”


Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson

 

Becca shared with us that she recently read this and how special it was to her.  Chuck read it not too long ago as well.  It's a poem and song that Charles and I both loved when we heard years ago too.  It made me think about what other songs or poems we might have treasured so long ago that they may not have heard.  If you think of any - please share.

This got our conversation rolling and I shared about a devotion that I found in at work in Cindy's binder.  It was a good reminder of work and our attitude.  It related to Christ and how he came to earth to do His Father's work and to serve.  He always did his best to please His Father.  What an example!  His work ethic was not only an example for "the working class" but also for the leaders.  Jesus serves even though He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Are you a boss at your work, a mom or dad at home, a big brother or sister watching your siblings - do you demand work from your staff, children, or brothers or sisters?  Jesus doesn't demand us to follow Him or His rules.  He leads us, directs us, guides us, cares for us, and loves us.  He gives us choices -and consequences.  I think back to old kings and the rules and restrictions they placed on their people.  Most required specific procedures and permissions to even approach their thrones.  One would not even consider just walking up and speaking to the King without his permission.  Prison or even death may follow such a forthcoming attitude.  What an example our King is...He is King of Kings, yet he allows us to approach His throne anytime and anywhere we are.  He always welcomes our conversation and not only hears us, but listens to us.  He loves us and wants us to have a close relationship with Him.  What a priviledge and honor He has given us - I'm so thankful for His testimony and example.  Follow in His footprints - it's the best path to take!



Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,

No comments:

Post a Comment