Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cellulitis and a Wonderful Surprise!

Well - it's the first time dad has ever been admitted into the hospital.  The symptoms I mentioned yesterday did not turn out to be the flu.  The diagnosis is cellulitis.  The afternoon started with a visit to the doctor, which was then redirected to the ER then up to a hospital room.  We were finally settled in the room about 2:30 a.m. and he got a good night's rest.  Bless his heart they had iv's in both hands with multiple lines funneled into each, an oxygen line in his nose and holes in his arm from drawing blood.  He's has some sweet nurses, which always helps.  Here is a little info about what is going on in his body right now.

Cellulitis (sel-u-LI-tis) is a common, potentially serious bacterial skin infection.
Cellulitis appears as a swollen, red area of skin that feels hot and tender, and it may spread rapidly.
Skin on lower legs is most commonly affected, though cellulitis can occur anywhere on your body or face. Cellulitis may affect only your skin's surface, or cellulitis may also affect tissues underlying your skin and can spread to your lymph nodes and bloodstream.
Left untreated, the spreading infection may rapidly turn life-threatening. That's why it's important to seek immediate medical attention if cellulitis symptoms occur.

Just in case you wondered... (I kinda wondered)...
Cellulitis isn't usually spread from person to person. Cellulitis is an infection of the deeper layers of the skin most commonly caused by bacteria that normally live on the skin's surface.

The best part of the day was seeing a few family members.  I apologize - I have been terrible about bringing my camera with me and also about pulling my phone out to capture these moments.

Round One: Mamaw and Granddad
We had a nice visit with them and the conversation went in all directions.  One interesting thing that came up was snakes.  Did you know your Granddad is quite the snake killer?  Copperheads, water moccasins, rattlers were a few that he told about.   Yuck!  If there is one thing I'm definitely not fond of it is snakes.  Mamaw and I were in total agreement about that!

Round Two: Aunt Collette
I scared her to death.  I really didn't mean too!  It was all part of a bigger plan going on behind the scenes - concocted by her brothers!  I called her in the afternoon and asked her to do me a big favor.  Could she come to the hospital just to sit with me?  She and I are very close - she is the sister I didn't have growing up!  I assured her that everything was ok - but I just wanted her company for a little while.  Well she didn't hear any of that last statement!  She just knew that I don't usually ask for things like that.  She flew over to the hospital to find out that all really was ok.   We sat talking for a few minutes when my cell phone rang.  Round three was about to begin - he was there!  I told a little fib to her (I'm sorry)  stating it was Charles' co-worker there to visit for a minute.    She scooted over to the couch to open up the chair for this stranger she was about to meet.

Round Three:  Scott
He appeared at the door and I turned to watch Collette as he entered.  I so wish I had this on video!  She looked at him quickly and then glanced away.  Her eyes kept being drawn back to this "co-worker" of her brother.  He kept walking closer (and honestly  I was watching Collette - so not sure - but believe his eyes were glued on her).  Her facial expression changed the closer he came to her and then she suddenly gasped, jumped up and they were in an embrace that lasted for quite some time.  She was in shock and probably still is.  He wanted to surprise her and surprise her he did.  It was the first time they had ever met face to face- brother and sister finally seeing each other in person.  He had an unexpected trip across the country to attend the funeral of his Uncle Mickey.  We are so sorry for the loss of this man he held so close to his heart.  This reunion was grand!  The three siblings talking, laughing and sharing together. 


Both Collette and I arranged for the next two rounds...

Round Four:  Chuck, Becca and Misti
Chuck had not had the priviledge to meet his uncle yet, like Becca, who met him in FL in January.  They all came to see their dad/uncle in the hospital, of course, but also to meet Uncle Scott.  Introductions were made and they chatted a bit. 

Round Five:  Uncle Ed, Jonathan and Benjamin
Ok - so Collette played a little trick on Ed.  She told him to come right away - now this was after she left the house in a panic don't forget - and he was awaiting the status of what was going on at the hospital.
He texted - WHAT is GOING ON??????????????????
She didn't keep him in suspense for long and let him know that Scott was there!
He was now in shock!  He didn't tell the boys who they were about to meet - loaded up and headed over.
They arrived and were shocked and excited to meet their Uncle who they had heard so much about.



All the well wishes for Charles were wonderful
The get together of family was so sweet - just wish it would have been longer - but so thankful for the time we had together!
We love each and every one of you more than you know!






No comments:

Post a Comment